Sunday, February 7, 2021

Homemade Strawberry Jam

Strawberry Jam (freezer Jam) is the easiest thing to make. It takes no talent and little time. I just made some using three different types of pectin and thought I would pass along what I have learned.
  • The original Sure-Jell powder.
  • Pros - Tastes the best, yields the most jam, only stir for 2 minutes
  • Cons- Has the most sugar, you have to boil the powder before you stir

  • Sure-Jell liquid
  • Pros - is a liquid so you don't have to use a sauce pan to liquefy the powder, costs almost half as much because it is sold two to a box, yields the same as the original powder.
  • Cons- Doesn't get rid of the sugar crystals as good as the original, you have to stir for 3 minutes (which doesn't seem like a big deal until I realized I would be stirring for 27 minutes to make 8 batches), and you have to add lemon juice which you can taste a little.
  • Sure-Jell reduced sugar
  • Pros- less than half the sugar as original
  • Cons- Yields less because there is less sugar, the texture is a little more jelloish, taste is good though
If you want to make Jam you need about 3 Jars for each pound of Strawberries and one package of Pectin, and each batch is only about 15 minutes total. All the instructions are in the package of Pectin. My vote right now is for the original powder Sure-Jell. If anyone knows of a better pectin or easier process I would love to learn.

2 comments:

Anne said...

I have been making the jam for several years now and it is easy and yummy. I do not use sure jell. I use Ball- simple creations no cook freezer jam fruit pectin. It is so easy because you only have to stir, no cooking and no clumps. The other major plus is I think it uses less sugar than the rest, but does not have any artificial sweetners. We love the taste and so does everyone we share with. It uses 1 1/2 cups of sugar per 4 cups of fruit and yields 5 8oz jars. Not sure how the cost compares to sure jell. I think it is comparable.

Jennie's bunch said...

I'm glad your "jamming" was a success! I'm glad it's so easy to do...I've enjoyed making it this year for the first time ever!